Brief history

Origins built on spiritual need, caring and community

Como Baptist Church has been an integral part of the Como community for almost 100 years. Established in 1927 by South Como newlyweds Harold and Win Harris, the couple opened one of WA’s early Sunday schools for poorer children, initially on their back verandah.

Since then, the Church has always played a practical and supportive community role – from helping homeless families living on the banks of the Canning River during the Depression, to working with young people from the 1930s up to today, contributing to the war effort during the 1940s, supporting refugees and immigrants, and maintaining a focus on multi-generational worship and congregational services ever since.

Today, up to 150 people regularly worship and participate in church activities, while the Early Learning Centre provides childcare facilities and services for more than 80 children each week.

After nearly a century of presence and service to the community our vision is to create a new ‘light on the hill’ – a thriving residential community hub that will bring new pride and added life to the area, and provide community, recreational and commercial facilities for everybody, including those who already live in this part of Como.

The Canning Bridge Activity Centre Plan comprises five precincts – a transport hub on the north side of Canning Bridge in Como and four precincts incorporating a mix of residential, civic, office, retail and entertainment uses against the backdrop of the Swan and Canning Rivers and the adjacent open space.

The plan envisages about 24,000 residents in 12,000 dwellings calling the area home while nearly 8,000 people are expected to be employed in the area by 2051.